Looking Back on all the Good Times

"All good things must come to an end." 
-Geoffrey Chaucer


Hello again! This will be my final blog as it is my last week abroad. I chose the quote above because I'm trying to convince myself that leaving Europe is just as exciting as coming here, but I still don't quite believe it. I have a whole new chapter of my life waiting to get started when I get back to the States (along with a bunch of people who I can't wait to see), and I'm so happy (and anxious) to get started on moving to Omaha and beginning med school; however, Europe has been the most incredible experience of my life, and I'm still trying to figure out how to embrace this ending.




Even in real life, the Eiffel Tower looks too good to be true.




Before all the sappy stuff though, I'm going to give you a quick run-down of Paris (because that's where I'm currently writing you from). It is the most incredible city, and I know I say this about most places, but jeesh you should all visit Paris. I traveled here with one of my good friends, Jenny, and we have had the best time. We went on a walking tour where we got to see most of the heart of Paris, explored the Lourve (and saw the Mona Lisa of course) and Notre Dame, went shopping on one of the most famous shopping strips in the world, saw the Arc de Triomphe, ate the best crepés I've ever encountered, watched the sunset on the Eiffel Tower, and spent an entire glorious day at Disneyland Paris (I'm still acting like an excited six-year-old about it). We are staying in an apartment the size of broom closet (I'm not kidding) on the sixth-floor of a building in the Latin District and can see the Eiffel Tower from our window and literally walk to Notre Dame and the Louvre. I can't think of a more perfect place to spend the (second to) last leg of my European adventure (I'm gong to Caen tomorrow for my final destination).




Still can't believe we went!!




They say time flies when you're having fun, and that must be true because it actually kind of scares me to think I've truly been here for three months. I feel like it was just the other day that I got off the plane in Prague and had no idea what I got myself into. These past months in Europe have been jam-packed full with new experiences, countries, delicacies, cultures, castles, churches, monuments, and new people. I've had to become comfortable without things that I took for granted in the U.S. (stable wifi, Hershey's chocolate, the only brand of mascara I like, and decent, normal-sized pillows) and have learned that even though it's nice to have those things- they aren't that big of a deal. I can now book a weekend trip to a different country without a second thought, and I'm proud to say that I can actually manage money (kind of) too.




I Louvre Paris!




Europe has introduced me to some things that I'm not sure how I'm going to live without once I leave (not to be dramatic). These things include in no particular order: tartar sauce (it's not the same as U.S. tartar sauce and they put it with everything), paprika chips, calling the bathroom the "water closet", beautiful accents everywhere, Milka chocolate, potato dumplings, beer cheaper than water (it really is), cabbage (I'm convinced it's different here), H&M (I know it's in the U.S., but it won't be the same), being able to hop on a plane/train/bus and go to a new country wherever you feel like it, public transportation (meaning I never have to drive), riding trains (because I still think they're the coolest), people assuming I'm British, and no homework or work or major responsibilities.




Disneyland Paris has candy apples everywhere. My princess one was perfect!




My list contains mostly things that might sound insignificant, but I think that's what made this experience what it was. It was the little things that started out as strange but are now a daily part of my life. It was finding new comfort foods (cabbage and potato dumplings), starting to really feel at home in a new place (Olomouc), no longer feeling uncomfortable by never understanding a word of what was being said around me (because I don't speak Czech, German, Italian, French, etc.), and learning how to live 5,000 miles away from the people I love (I still suck at communicating). Everyone keeps saying that people change when they study abroad, and I'm not sure if I have, but I do know that I've gained memories, experiences, and a little bit more of an understanding of this part of the world that will always affect me.




She is very popular. 




My study abroad experience has taught me more than I could ever list to you and more than I probably even realize. I came here with 22 strangers, no idea how to exist in this environment, and a little apprehension, and I'm leaving having become friends with some inspirational, driven, caring, slightly irresponsible, funny, and unforgettable people with a new confidence in myself and a new perspective on the world around me. I can't thank you all enough for your endless support and encouragement, and I feel more blessed than I can process. I've seen and done things that I've dreamt about since I was young, and I know I will cherish these memories (and probably talk about them constantly so sorry in advance) for the rest of my life.





If I didn't have it before (which I think I did), I've absolutely caught the "travel bug" now, so stayed tuned for the adventures that are sure to come. Thank you all so much for traveling with me and entertaining some of my quirky thoughts throughout this journey. I'm going to go on a boat cruise in the middle of Paris now and then chill on a gorgeous whites sand beach for the next week.




Might've teared up from happiness.




I can't believe this is goodbye, but I'll be back because there's so much here that I haven't yet seen. If anyone  ever wants to go to Europe, please let me know (I miss it and haven't even left yet).  See ya in six days U.S.A.!




Best wine photo for last!



x Paige 

Comments