Learning to Look Up ((Daily Life))


"I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met."


If you know me, you aren't at all surprised right now that I'm starting my blog with a corny quote. But hey, I want to start out on the right foot, and this quote sums up all of my hard-to-explain but incredible feelings about my time in Europe thus far. What's also great about this quote is that I actually just had a discussion about it with a friend while walking down the streets of Budapest. Yeah that's right, BUDAPEST. My life currently consists of being able to say things like "in Europe", drinking fancy lattes in cafés, walking down cobblestone streets, admiring towering cathedrals, and never ever wanting to come home from cities like Budapest, Prague, and Olomouc (sorry Mom).



First day in Prague!



As with anything that I've tried to predict in my life, Europe is not at all what I expected. This is absolutely not a problem, though. It's hard to envision an experience, especially with so little information of what it will entail, so I tried to come into this one with an excited heart and an open mind, which wasn't hard to accomplish at all. I mean, I'm in freaking Europe! Everything so far has been incredible and historical and slightly exhausting, and we are just getting started. I have seen things that some people only dream of and have been given the opportunity of a lifetime. I've only been here for a short two weeks, but I am already amazed at the lessons I've learned and the things I've seen, and I cannot wait for the rest of this adventure.



The yummiest dessert ever! (Yes, I know it looks bad.)



I haven't felt any kind of homesickness yet, but they say it will come so we'll see. I have missed particular people, but in an "I wish they were here with me" way instead of an "I wish I was home with them" way. I honestly do think that everyone should experience different cultures, histories, and people in the way that Europe allows because it changes your perspective in many ways, and I think the best lessons (and also maybe the most fun lessons) are the little ones.



Some of my classmates at a traditional Czech restaurant. 




Everyday life in the Czech Republic is both very similar and very different from daily life in Nebraska. For example, I am currently sitting in a laundromat typing this, which isn't anything special (except the dryers kind of suck so I have to use my clothesline and hang clothes on my balcony, but I have a balcony so whatever, right?). The language here is kind of challenging and not at all similar to English so even simple tasks require translation (bless the Google Translate app), but learning how to communicate is actually fun and also extremely rewarding when you master a new phrase and use it successfully in public (the locals really appreciate the effort too). I'm eating out more than I ever have; however, as you all know, cooking isn't exactly my forte and traditional Czech food is AMAZING. My new campus isn't a campus in the traditional sense because all of the buildings are spread out sporadically around the beautiful city with the dorms on one end. Classes seem to have a looser structure than classes in the U.S. (I still haven't gotten a single syllabus so I'm trying to roll with it, which I'm sure you all know is something that is kind of a struggle for me) but so far they've been very interesting and helpful in understanding more about the Czech culture.



Thermal baths of Budapest (ft. my new swimming suit).




I am very fortunate to be taking on this adventure with a group of kind and adventurous people who have been a blast so far. We've done some crazy things like taking a sporadic weekend trip on an overnight bus to Budapest and swimming in the thermal baths, staying at a club until 4:30 am, and taking on the Prague train station, so I'm very excited to see what else is in store for us. I feel like I'm getting settled into the swing of European living pretty well, and not to be philosophical or sappy, but I also feel like I'm learning some important things about myself on this journey as well.



The streets of Olomouc.




The title of this blog is "Look Up", and this is also how Europe has changed my life. I've never before realized that I walk quickly, with my head down. I'm always rushing to my next class, meeting, appointment, shift, etc. (yes, I know my rushing is probably mostly caused by my perpetual lateness, but still). I never look up. I rarely take the time to appreciate the sky, the buildings, the birds, the trees, or anything that's higher than eye level, and in thinking more about this, I've also realized that I forget to look up to thank God for this gosh dang amazing life that He's given me. I haven't been looking up and praising Him. I hardly ever look up and feel the sun on my face and feel lucky to be alive.





Exploring!




Already, I have noticed that Europe has me looking up. The architecture is breathtaking, the cities are bustling, and the world is so beautiful. I was walking around the cobblestone upper square of my new home, Olomouc, on the second day of our arrival and realized that I was looking down. Focused on walking to my next destination, I was letting one of the most beautiful cities in the world pass me by basically unnoticed. I was appalled at myself for letting this happen and decided to focus on looking up. Now, two weeks in, I don't have to consciously make an effort to look up anymore, and I love it. I love that only two weeks of this place has taught my such amazing lessons, and I love that I am happier, more appreciative, and living more in the moment than I ever have before.

Exploring Europe is literally one of my dreams come true, and the everyday life of this city and culture has been amazing to witness and learn from. I'm so excited to get better at communicating (my goal is to be able to order a meal without mushrooms in it because a lot of things here have mushrooms, so we'll see if that ever happens) and navigating (I still get turned around pretty easily), and I couldn't be more thankful or happy to be in this country.


In parting, remember to look up wherever you are because chances are there's something around you worth appreciating. 



In Europe. Wine in hand. Bliss.


 x Paige


Comments