Looking Up Lots of Foreign Words ((Language))

"Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can; there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did."
-Sarah Caldwell


Dobry den! (Translates to "good day" in Czech.) Spring is finally upon us here in the Czech Republic, and I'm writing this on my balcony in the sunshine while looking at the peaceful ruins of the walls of the old city fortress, so not much could be better. This week, I'm going to talk about learning (hence the cheesy quote about it) and the language barrier that I have (not surprisingly) encountered while in Europe.


Znojmo made me happy!



First off though, I want to tell you about my week! We got back from Easter in Austria and Germany (more in last week's blog if you want to hear about it) and were completely exhausted, but recuperated quickly. Because we're leaving for spring break (which will include Vienna, Venice, Rome, Pompeii, and Athens- yay!!) on Tuesday, quite a few of us stayed in Olomouc for the weekend. One of the things that past students from this program have said is to appreciate our hometown (I call Olomouc our hometown because I adore it, and it will always be our European hometown), and I'm glad I listened to them. It was definitely a low-key weekend, but it was very fun and actually really cool to see this part of the world in such a relaxed, non-touristy (hallelujah) way.


It's starting to look a lot like spring!



Friday was spent wandering around after our morning classes and enjoying some shopping (sorry dad, I needed some sandals for spring break). Then on Saturday, one of our advisors took a group of us to a nearby town called Znojmo (your guess is as good as mine on how to pronounce that). This was a very charming city (All of the cities here really don't actually feel like cities, but they have lots of people, I'm just not sure where they all live!), and we got to explore its underground tunnels, churches, castle, and old monastery. You will be happy to hear that we also attended a wine tasting while at the monastery (weird combo, right?), and yes, I was as happy as you're imagining. I went to bed early and spent a lazy Sunday catching up on sleep, laundry, blogging, and loving Europe.



Wine tasting!



This weekend was certainly a different pace than what I'm used to, but it was amazing and educational all the same. This brings me to the point of this blog: language barriers. As someone who was born, raised, and has pretty much stayed (save a few mission trips and vacations) in the U.S., I have never truly encountered any form of language barrier before. Even when I went to Peru and Guatamala, I knew enough Spanish to get by and had translators available most of the time. Here, the language varies from country to country (and sometimes region to region), and I have zero previous knowledge of any of it. Luckily, most people do know English (or enough to help you out), but I have never felt so lost when trying to explain myself. It's very eye-opening to not be able to order food how I want it (this entire trip has consisted of me removing a lot of things from most of my food because I'm a hopelessly picky eater), ask the price of something, or ask for directions (probably to no one's surprise, I get lost sometimes). Of course, I look up important phrases in every language that I encounter as I travel, but being able to say "hello" and "thank you" can only get you so far. Thank goodness for the Google Translate App, because I use it every single day (the translations are sometimes pretty rough, but it's better than nothing).


The underground tunnels in Znojmo.



Because of these experiences, I have gained a whole new perspective on foreigners or people who don't speak the common tongue (wherever they are). It's challenging to not be able to communicate, and I've encountered quite a few people who have no patience for foreigners (but I've encountered even more who are gracious, kind, and willing to help). I have learned the importance of compassion and understanding when encountering someone who's struggling to communicate, because I've been there many times now. Absorbing as much as you can from the people around you can be very helpful as you can use their words and actions as examples of how to act and treat others in an unfamiliar society.


Bus ride (ft. our wine and wine glasses)!



One part about the language barrier (especially the one I've encountered while staying in the Czech Republic) that I really appreciate is how it allows me to even further immerse myself into the culture. There's something very cool about being surrounded by people in a beautiful foreign land whose language you know only a few words of. You can pick up on tones, and it's super rewarding when you catch the few words that you do know or are able to put together the point of the conversation (this happens to me very very very rarely but still). Because Olomouc isn't a touristy place (I seriously cannot find a dang shot glass for my collection anywhere), and it's also a University city, I don't really feel like I stand out super obviously as an "outsider" anymore. Maybe this is just me feeling more comfortable (I mean, I am clearly American), but even if I am being delusional, feeling like this has allowed me to embrace and experience the Czech culture on a more personal level. I definitely think you all should lose yourself at least once in an unfamiliar culture with an unfamiliar language. I'm confident that it will change your perspective and your life, because it has truly changed mine.


More of the beautiful Znojmo!



Now for this week's quick summary for all of you skimmers. I had the most peaceful week since my arrival in Europe but thoroughly enjoyed it. Apartment searching in Omaha from the Czech is not easy. If anyone has any connections with realtors in Omaha or any advice at all about the city, I would appreciate literally any help. I'm not homesick at the moment, and my people-sickness (coining a new word that probably makes no sense) is a lot better now, because I got to talk to my people quite a bit this week. My advise is to learn as much as you can from the people around you, no matter where you are. You'd be surprised at how interesting and helpful they can be. I have a new appreciation for little cafés. The fact that I can go enjoy a super cheap, fancy drink and tons of adorable pastries at any point in my day is one of the best parts of existing here.  I've learned that going to Europe doesn't mean I have to travel to a new country every single weekend (even though I thought it did and still enjoy it). If you take a little break to enjoy where you are, the rest of Europe will still be there tomorrow. I've found that it's super important to appreciate the spot that you find yourself in right now. There's something to be learned and stuff to appreciate no matter the location or situation. And finally, challenge yourself when it comes to language barriers. Instead of being frustrated by someone who doesn't speak your language, help them as best as you can and show them kindness because I promise, they are more frustrated than you are.

I won't be blogging for a couple weeks because SPRING BREAK! So check out Facebook and Insta for the millions of pictures that will surely be uploaded and pray for good weather for me because I could really use more sunshine and less layers. Catch ya later!


Twice the wine = twice the happiness.


x Paige



Comments