Looking Around

"Notice the small things. The rewards are inversely proportional."
-Liz Vassey



Hi guys! Not that I can honestly say there's anything "small" about Europe, but this week I've gotten the chance to appreciate the beauty and charm of the country I've been calling my 'home' for the last two months, and I personally think the smaller things are sometimes the best things (even in Europe).



BBQ!




 I had a lot of preconceived notions coming into this trip about what it would consist of, how I would feel about the Czech, and how traveling the world would go. Interestingly, I was wrong on nearly all counts. I've said before that it's hard to predict something you know nothing about, so I try not to; however, it's impossible to not imagine what a great journey like this will become. I spent this last week and weekend in the Czech Republic instead of taking a weekend trip to another country. I didn't think I would ever do this when the trip started. I wanted to go go go every weekend and every chance I got. I still do want to see everything and go everywhere, but I have a new appreciation for what "spending time" in a place actually means and how much stuff there is to see and do no matter where you go. Spring break was life changing, but I didn't really truly get to know the places I was in because I was there for like two days. This form of travel is very fun and very much worth it (and a little exhausting), but I now know that it's also okay to sometimes take a breath and explore what's right in front of you.




Bouzouv Castle.



To be honest, the Czech Republic is a country that never truly peaked my "travel-bug" interest before this trip. Prague is its claim-to-fame in the eyes of the rest of the world; however, I can attest to the fact that it's so much more than one old big city. We went to a Czech castle, a chateau (basically a castle too), and a huge garden this week on class mini-trips and got to see so much of this breathtaking country and its hidden treasures. Then this weekend, I explored Olomouc more and got to see it in a new way. On Saturday a group of us hopped on a bus that took us out of town where we got to see the miles of beautiful green countryside dotted with huge fields of yellow flowers that surround the city. The yellow flowers are actually rapeseed (unfortunate name), and they're harvested for their oil-rich seeds. The outskirts of Olomouc looked like a page ripped right out of a storybook, and it was so nice to see some country after being surrounded by cities for so long (See? I still have my rural Nebraska roots.). We spent the day at the zoo (which featured raccoons, goats, and white-tailed deer alongside the more traditional zoo animals) and ended it with a nice traditional Czech dinner (I'm freaked because I'm starting to like cabbage and sauerkraut and that's not okay). Afterwards, we made our way to Holy Hill (featuring the best view of Olomouc you're ever going to get) and watched a gorgeous sunset over the city. 




The Czech countryside. 



Sunday was spent exploring the Upper and Lower Squares in Olomouc and (finally!!) finding the crêpery that I've been looking for since I got here. I had two crêpes (don't judge, we obviously had to try one sweet and one savory) and spent the afternoon trying to accomplish some stuff (graduation, the move to med school, finances, etc. require attention even when I'm in Europe as it turns out), but, even when I have to acknowledge that my responsibilities exist, I'm doing it in Europe, so nothing is too bad. 




Upper Square of Olomouc.



Yesterday was May Day, and in the Czech Republic it's a day for the celebration of love. (So basically another Valentine's Day, but this one involves couples kissing under trees to ensure the woman doesn't "dry up". Kind of weird.) The whole town of Olomouc was alive with music, pop-up vendors, food stands, and (of course) beer. There were endless things to look at and taste, and the environment was festive and exciting. After spending some time at the main hub of the celebration, a big group of my class walked to some of the city's old fortress ruins to play paintball. I've never played before but am a Western Nebraska girl through and through, so I was very excited. It was seriously the most fun (even though you're left with some pretty gnarly welts and bruises). We all got a pair of camouflage overalls, fingerless gloves, and a big face mask and were literally shooting at each other in the ruins of the city's old defensive wall in the middle of the forest. We had a old-fashioned BBQ afterwards featuring the Czech versions of hotdogs, chips, and potato salad (all a little weird but good), and ended the day celebrating one of the crew's 21st birthday at a pub. 




Paint ball!



As you can see, my "non-traveling" week wasn't really any more calm than any other weekend, I just spent this one in the Czech. When I came into this trip, I counted on Olomouc essentially being my "home-base" used primarily for attending classes and sleeping, but it has become so much more than that. The culture here is so rich and interesting (and a little eccentric at times), and the people have stories and perspectives that are incredible. This tiny little country in the middle of Europe is full of castles, cathedrals, fountains, countrysides, cities, and much more that have so much character and history. These may seem like 'little things' compared to the ruins of Athens, the Colosseum in Rome, or the Eiffel Tower, but this country has made my Study Abroad experience more than I ever imagined it could be. I'm so fortunate to be able to call this my home in Europe and have undoubtedly had the experience of a lifetime (even without considering my travels to other amazing countries).




Baby goats at the zoo!



A few other little things to catch you up on before I call this blog quits. I'm missing all the brandings back home, so please drink a beer and get kicked by a calf for me if you go to one (don't actually get kicked). Apparently my sister thought that I've been going to school in Prague this entire time, so if you haven't caught it yet, I'm attending school in Olomouc (a smaller city that's a two-hour train ride from Prague). Czechs are very serious about their closing hours here. We were actually asked to leave a store by the security guard because closing was 7pm, and it was 7 on the dot. I got to eat corn in a cup at the zoo and hold baby goats, so I was basically home for a sec. Budgeting is the worst, and I'm not very good at it. Paintballs hurt when they hit you in the mouth, and the paint tastes horrible. Always go to the market when you have the chance. They are so dang cute and fun. Can someone tell me if sauerkraut is different in the States compared to here? I know U.S. tartar sauce is, and I'm going to miss it terribly, so I'm hoping it's not the same situation with sauerkraut. Also, I hate that I like sauerkraut; it seems so disgusting. I'm supposed to be graduating on Friday, and it's been much harder than I thought to miss all of the ceremonies, celebrations, and banquets with my friends. I went through college with them, so it's tough to not be there to celebrate the end of it. I will be walking in the ceremony on July 27 (for anyone who didn't know yet), so I'll get to celebrate (hopefully with some of you), just not in the same way. Europeans don't have screens on any of their windows, and I absolutely do not understand why. My flat is now home to two mice (eek!), so please pray the exterminator comes soon. I have my finals in two weeks and forgot how to say "yes" in Czech yesterday, so yikes (it's "ano" for anyone wondering). I will be returning to the U.S. in four weeks and, although I'm excited to see all of your beautiful faces, I tear up thinking about leaving Europe, so here's to hoping time slows down. 




Beer on May Day!



I really appreciate all of you who read these and all of your kind words and support. This trip has been incredible, and it has allowed me to realize how lucky I am to have such an amazing support system. Have a great week! 



This week's wine picture includes my class!



x Paige 

Comments